Charles II Fruitwood and Bone Marquetry Cabinet on a bespoke mid Georgian Stand

The Cabinet Circa 1675. The Stand Circa 1765

Measurements Height 66” (167.7 cm) Width 63” (160 cm) 17” (43.2 cm )

Well conserved original state with excellent patination.

The brass escutcheons are George 11 additions but all the locks appear to be original (two lacking).

The cornice with a rare cresting above 12 short drawers flanking a prospect door enclosing an elaborate theatre with a drawer above and flanked by 4 coin drawers and mirrors to either side. The coin drawers with original banded fronts beneath late 18thc floral painting probably by the lady of the house. The theatre itself has exceptionally fine geometric perspective decoration including on the floor and ceiling with particularly refined marquetry reminiscent of the work of Pierre Gole.

 

Although we, as yet, have been unable to positively identify the master Cabinetmaker who created this work, it is undoubtedly a tour de force and bears comparison with the works of Pierre Gole and Gerrit Jensen both in skilful execution and design.

A distinctive feature on the present cabinet is the placement of a flower vase at one end of a table with a table cloth drawn back at the other end. This feature appears on the central door and is repeated on both sides. Another master touch is the placement of one fallen leaf on the table at the base of the vase, a feature sometimes found in the works of Old Masters.

 

Pierre Gole

Circa 1620- 27 November 1684

Born in Holland he moved to Paris in 1645 where he became an influential cabinetmaker. He worked for Cardinal Mazarin prior to becoming Eberniste to the King and the Grand Dauphin. He supplied numerous pieces to Versailles. Much of his work now resides in international museums including an ebony Cabinet in the Royal collection at Windsor Castle.

 

The Stand

 The present bespoke mahogany stand which dates circa 1765 has been cleverly made to accommodate the original frieze drawer and frieze marquetry decoration from the earlier stand. The execution of this stand is that of a leading, probably London, cabinetmaker. The blind-fretwork relates to a set of 16 chairs supplied to Boxted Hall and sold by Christies on the 5/7/1997.In the catalogue entry the distinguished historian Anthony Coleridge refers to The Cabinet and Chair-Makers Real Friend, published in 1765 by Robert Mainwaring, in which are designs for fretwork incorporating ‘Bell’ motifs, as on this Cabinet stand and the Boxted chairs. He also states that these are the only known (chair) designs of the period with bells on the legs. He also suggests a possible maker of the suite of chairs could be one of Thomas Chippendale, Robert Mainwaring or Mayhew and Ince. In most cases the original 17thc walnut and marquetry cabinet stands simply rotted away on the stone floors of the period or became unfashionable.  There is a 17th century Cabinet at Ham House, believed to be by Jensen, which now sits on a 1760s stand. Certainly, the owner of this cabinet valued it sufficiently highly to commission this exceptional mid Georgian stand.

 

A full description and accompanying analysis have been kindly provided by Peter Holmes, the distinguished restorer and furniture expert and is available with this document.

 

Provenance: By repute. A relative of Inigo Jones

Email Enquiry