Anglo Chinese Lacquer Side Cabinet

AN ANGLO CHINESE ROSEWOOD PARCEL GILT AND RED LACQUER SIDE CABINET

Circa 1820.  Later adapted to display the collection of Chinese carvings.

Measurements: Height 50 ½” (128cm) Width 36” (92cm) Depth 15 ½” (39cm)

These Chinese carvings depict mythological emblems and figures including a five clawed dragon and the figure of Shou-Lao with his peach, emblematic of longevity.

Provenance:

By repute supplied to Miles Thomas Stapleton, 8th Lord Beaumont (1805-1854) for Carlton Towers, Yorkshire.

Thence by descent and sold by the Duke of Norfolk Sotheby’s 15th November 1994

Lot 17.  

Carlton Towers was built in the early 17th century and substantially enlarged by Henry Stapleton, 9th Lord Beaumont, who engaged Edward Welby Pugin to carry out extensive works to create the great Gothic fantasy which stands today.

Literature: Catalogue of all the furniture and effects in Carlton Hall, Selby 1854 page 111, Listed in the ‘first floor East side of the wing. The breakfast room.

 

£3800

Email Enquiry