Roman Marble Table

A ROMAN MARBLE TABLE

 Assembled in Italy Circa 1900

The supports early 19th century

A massive Italian rectangular marble table top supported by twin Roman finely carved monopole legs in Statuary marble.

The top has been reputedly cut from a larger slab coming from the Medici Villa in Tuscany which was owned by members of the Medici family between the 15th century and the 17th century.

The marble is a Breccia di Medici stone that came from antique Roman quarries mined about 2,000 years ago. At the time it was a common marble but today it is very rare to find large slabs of it, especially of such thickness.

The magnificently carved Carrara marble monopodiae supports feature winged chimeras   with substantial paw feet.

The architectural legs echo those found in 1st century B.C. at Pompeii. Recalling the stylised winged lions that once served as masterful pillars in that historic city.

 Width 57 ¼”(145 cm) Depth 19 ¾”(50 cm) Height 37”(94cm)

 Thickness of top 3 ¾”(9.5cm)

 Pavonazzetto (Breccia di Medici) marble is also known as Docimaean marble due to it originating from mines in Docimium, now Ichehisar, Turkey. It was extensively used during the Augustan period. Large columns of this marble were utilised in the Villa of Augustus, the Temple of Mars and monumental statue groups in Tiberius’s villa in Sperlonga, just to mention a few of the numerous classical monuments in which this marble was incorporated. Examples can also be seen in the Capitoline museums in Rome.

 

Email Enquiry