England | c. 1816
A rare pair of Regency period oak and brown oak side tables with Egyptian granite tops. Each with a moulded frieze veneered with quarter sawn brown oak panels above a gothic arched apron carved with quatrefoils supported on four ring turned legs surmounted with Egyptian granite tops.
Provenance: William Hamilton Nisbet, Biel House, Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland.
Height: 35 ¼” (83.5 cm); Width 54 ¾” (139 cm); Depth 28 ½” (72 cm).
Literature: Biel House, near Dunbar in East Lothian, Scotland, was originally a tower house dating from the 12th century, part of the vast possessions of the Earls of Dunbar, and then bought by the first Lord Belhaven in 1647. It was later owned by the Nisbet-Hamilton-Ogilvy family. Biel House was extended in the late 18th century by William Hamilton Nisbet and further improvements were made in the early 19th century. This also included extensive orders of furnishings commissioned by George Bullock in the period between 1812 and 1818, the present tables among them. A bill to William Hamilton-Nisbet from George Bullock dated July 27 1816, lists the tables as intended for the Cloisters.