Phillip Mould Gallery, London, where purchased by a private owner.
Bronze with a light brown patina, resting on wooden base. Numbered ‘1/12’ on the edge. Lawrence is depicted as recumbent in Arabic clothing with a curved dagger in his hand and a whip by his side.
Conceived between 1936-1939, the present work is taken from the lost plasticine maquette, for the larger Recumbent effigy of T.E. Lawrence (also by Kennington), which was carved out of Portland stone and placed in St Martin’s Church in Wareham, Dorset in September in 1939.
Width: 24.25” (61.5cm). Width excluding wooden base: 20.75” (52.7cm). Depth: 11.25” (28.6cm)