Possibly by White Watson
The palisander base commissioned for the top Circa 1825
The exquisite rectangular top, which has re-entrant corners, is inlaid with an extensive array of specimen stones, including Lapis, Malachite, Sicilian Jasper, Green Porphyry, Blue John, Verona Red, Daquesa Rosa, Rouge Griotte, Breccia de Guillestre, Violet Brocatelle and Labradorite. These specimens are bordered by a thick band of Ashford Marble and laid onto a substantial slate base.
The palisander wood stand would have been specially commissioned for this top, probably by a patron of the stonemason who created the top.
White Watson (1760-1835) was an English Geologist, sculptor, stonemason, carver, mineral dealer and collector.
From his premises in Bakewell, Derbyshire, White Watson was chiefly responsible for the popular commercialisation of works produced in Ashford marble, an industry which his uncle and mentor Henry Watson founded in the 18th century.
Measurements: width 39”(99 cm) depth 24” (61 cm) height 30 ½”(77 cm)